Nocita is a long-acting local anesthetic. The active ingredient is bupivacaine that has been encapsulated in multivesicular liposomes to extend the duration of action of the anesthetic to 72 hours. Nocita has been approved for use during surgical closure of cranial cruciate ligament repair in dogs.
- Single use 20 ml vial; 13.3 mg/ml solution
- Unopened vials should be stored in the refrigerator for best shelf life, but the unopened vials can be held at room temperature for up to 30 days. Once drawn into a syringe, Nocita can be stored at room temperature for up to 4 hours
- The vial may only be punctured once
Dosage and administration
- One time dose of 5.3 mg/kg (0.4ml/kg) (label). Lower doses have been used (0.2-0.4 ml/kg)
- Wear gloves during administration
- Can be administered undiluted. If desired, Nocita can be diluted with 0.9% saline or lactated ringer’s solution. Do NOT dilute or mix with sterile water, 5% dextrose in water (D5W), or any other medications.
- Infiltrate tissues with 25-gauge needle with frequent aspiration to prevent intravenous injection.
- Do not shake vial. Invert multiple times to resuspend particles
- Use in the following groups has not been evaluated: age < 5 months, dogs intended for breeding, pregnancy, lactation, surgery other than CCL repair, liver disease, renal disease, cardiac disease